Happy 5th Birthday Aura’s House! Happy 16th Birthday Aura Hernandez!
Happy Birthday Aura’s House!
Unbelievable. Aura’s House, the online project, is five years old on June 30, 2009. It was first launched on this day back in 2004 as a humble web page with one simple (but daunting) goal: to raise $4500 to build a safe, sturdy brick home for my sponsored child Aura Yesenia Solis Hernandez (age 10 at the time) and her family of Guatemala. See Aura’s family’s NEW HOME!
See their old house.
Site’s History and Partners
Never having ever participated in so much as a bake-sale before this project, I dutifully contacted, bugged, pestered everyone I knew. After about 5 months, it was done. $4500 raised, plus $500 for furniture and $700 for Aura’s school. Way more than I could have imagined.
Thanks to Anastasia Yecke (the first donor at the site whom I didn’t already know), she convinced me to keep the site going so we could raise more funds for needy families around the world. Today I have five wonderful and amazing partners who make this site possible: Anastasia Yecke, Mike Epler (whom I met while volunteering in Tanzania), Christina Sidoti (my former web student at William Paterson University in NJ.), Heather LaBonte Efthymiou (an amazing volunteer turned partner), and Courtenay Honeycut (one of our first donors turned partner.) I seriously would have burned out a long time ago without them and without our wonderful supporters. THANK YOU so much for all you do.
In 2006 when Anastasia and I visited Aura and her family in Guatemala, we learned that her birthday is actually June 30 as well! (My updates from Children International always said June 6th on them.) So, by coincidence perhaps, this site is 5 years old and Ms. Aura Hernandez is Sweet Sixteen. Thanks to your most recent donations, she is now attending high school to earn a teaching certificate that will allow her to teach elementary school in her village. View this recent project.
What has Aura’s House done in 5 years? Well…
- To date: raised close to $62,000 for needy families.
- Built and furnished one home in Guatemala and two in Honduras.
- Furnished a school with desks in Guatemala
- Inspired “Sponsorthon” at Children International which is now the Lift One Project.
- Built a well for a village in India
- Sent over 20 children to school in Zambia who otherwise would have had to stay home.
- Provided beds, furniture, household equipment, and food supplies to 21 needy families in Guatemala, Honduras, the Dominican Republic, India, the Philippines, Zambia, Mexico, Ecuador, and Honduras.
- Built and equipped a badly needed classroom for an elementary school in the Philippines.
- Furnished a school in Kenya with desks, books, supplies, and lab equipment.
- Created an income generation/food supply/ agriculture education project for The Cape Coast School for the Deaf in Ghana.
- Sent Aura Hernandez to high school so she can become an elementary school teacher.
- Provided beds for 43 needy families in Guatemala who otherwise would be sleeping on the floor.
- Built a badly needed roof for Lesly and family of Guatemala.
- Raised funds for four income generation projects in the Philippines, India, and Guatemala.
- Worked with the non profit organizations: Children International, Kenya Kids inNeed, The American University of Rome, The UN’s Food and Agricultural Organization, and Child Focus Fund.
- Currently has 6 active projects to help provide income generation businesses and supplies to needy families in Guatemala, Honduras, Colombia, Ecuador, and Zambia.
Help us celebrate!
Please consider donating as little as $5 to one or more of our active projects. It is only through the accumulation of small donations from normal, every day people that have enabled us to help so many needy families around the world. We may not be Bill Gates or Oprah, but we can all do our small part to make the world a little better for those trying to overcome extreme poverty. Consider helping a family who will never be able to repay you.
You can also email this article to five of your friends or post a link to us on Facebook, MySpace, or Twitter.
Thanks so much! Happy Birthday Aura’s House and Happy Birthday Aura!
Founder of Aura’s House