Happy 10th Birthday Aura’s House! Happy 21st Birthday to Aura!
What has Aura’s House done in 10 years? Well…
- To date: raised over $103,000 USD for needy families.
- Completed 81 Projects Total including: 17 Housing and Home Repair Projects, 21 Education Projects, 17 Income Generation Projects, 5 Emergency Projects, 19 Household Needs Projects, 2 Community Water Projects, and 1 Dental Health Project.
- Built and furnished a house for Aura (this site’s namesake) and her family, sent her to secondary school for her teaching certificate, and funded her University education. Aura’s village also has received desks, educational materials, books, and running water for the Elementary School.
- Inspired “Sponsorthon” at Children International which then became the Lift One Project. It now has evolved into “My Social Center” at Children International’s main site.
- Worked with the non profit organizations: Children International, Kenya Kids in Need, The American University of Rome, The UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization, Child Focus Fund, and United With Hope.
- Currently has 2 active projects to help provide tuition, education support, and supplies in The Dominican Republic and The Philippines.
Help Us Celebrate by entering our Birthday Raffle! Hurry, it ends on July 2, 2014 (Weds.)!
It’s our 10th birthday today here at Aura’s House. Thanks so much for all the support and encouragement over the years! We know that we are small, but we are proud of our little projects that make a big difference. Enter our Birthday Raffle (only two days left!) to help us celebrate and you could win $100 for yourself or favorite charity in the process.
Thanks to the small donations (usually just $10 or under…) of lots of people over the years, we’ve raised over $103,000 USD for housing, health, education, and income generation projects for needy children and their families and communities in North, Central, and South America, Africa, and Asia.
Happy Tenth Birthday Aura’s House!
Aura’s House was first launched on this day back in 2004 as a humble web page with one simple (but daunting) goal: to raise $4500 to build a safe, sturdy brick home for my sponsored child Aura Yesenia Solis Hernandez (age 10 at the time) and her family of Guatemala. See Aura’s family’s NEW HOME!
See their old house.
Happy Twenty First Birthday Aura!
In 2006 when AH partner, Anastasia Yecke and I visited Aura Yesenia Solis Hernandez and her family in Guatemala, we learned that Aura’s birthday is actually June 30th as well! (My updates from Children International always said June 6th on them.)
Today she turns 21 and is now, thanks to support from Children International’s sponsorship program and Aura’s House donors, a self-sufficient young woman with a high school diploma and teacher’s certification. She began studying at University in 2013 and is employed in her village as an Elementary School teacher. Read more about Aura’s accomplishments.
It has now been two years since Aura graduated Children International’s program. Luckily we are still in touch through letters and Aura’s House and CI continue to follow her progress as a young adult and University student.
Site’s History and Partners
Never having ever participated in so much as a bake-sale before the first house project for Aura, I dutifully contacted, bugged, and pestered everyone I knew. After about 5 months, it was done. $4500 raised, plus $500 for furniture and $700 for Aura’s school. Way more than I could have imagined.
Thanks to Anastasia Yecke (the first donor at the site whom I didn’t already know), she convinced me to keep the site going so we could raise more funds for needy families around the world. Today I have six wonderful and amazing partners who make this site possible: Anastasia Yecke, Mike Epler (whom I met while volunteering in Tanzania), Christina Sidoti (my former web student at William Paterson University in NJ.), Heather LaBonte Efthymiou (an amazing volunteer turned partner), Zoe (Courtenay) Honeycutt (one of our first donors turned partner) and Inga Katelari (yet another amazing volunteer turned partner.)
We also have had some wonderful volunteers and interns over the past few years. In particular, we are grateful to volunteer, Mats Andersson for all his amazing help keeping the site up to date. THANK YOU so much for all you do. See a full list of all the wonderful volunteers we are thankful for.
Help us celebrate!
Please consider donating as little as $10 to one or more of our active projects. It is only through the accumulation of small donations from regular, everyday people that have enabled us to help so many needy families around the world. We may not be Bill Gates or Oprah, but we can all do our small part to make the world a little better for those trying to overcome extreme poverty. Consider helping a family who will never be able to repay you. (*Plus you may win a $100 Amazon Gift Card or Donation to your favorite charity which would be a nice bonus along with the non-material reward of helping fellow human beings.)
You can also email this post to ten of your friends or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
Thanks so much! Happy Birthday Aura’s House and Happy Birthday Aura!
Kristen, Anastasia, Mike, Christina, Courtenay, Heather, Inga, Mats, and The Aura’s House Team