Complete: Help 23 Orphans in Yangon, Myanmar Attend School This Year. ($1,482 Raised. THANK You!)
This project is now Complete.
Launched: May 16, 2016.
Completed: June 1, 2016.
Our goal was to raise $1250.
$1482 Raised! Thank you!
(*Please check the Youcaring page for the latest updates regarding the orphans as well as the raffles.)
Do these children deserve to go to school? Most people would say without hesitation, “Of course! EVERY child deserves to get a good start in life with access to a basic education.” Unfortunately even in 2016 not every child on Planet Earth gets the chance.
Today we have the opportunity to enable 23 bright, hardworking, and hopeful children, most with no parents to support them, get access to a basic education for one year at a cost of roughly just $54.35 per child. This covers books, tutoring, uniforms, and school supplies for each child.
-If you donate at least $10 USD to this project you will:
- Help a child get access to education that in turn enables them to overcome dire poverty and help their entire community.
- Have done an amazingly good deed and instantly improve your day and mood.
- Get an entry into our raffle! ($20 = two entries, $30 = three entries, etc.) Enter to win TWO $50 Amazon Gift Cards or TWO $50 Donations to the charity or cause of your choice! (*Raffle prizes donated by Aura’s House and Aid Myanmar)
- If you are physically in Rome, Italy (or will be visiting soon) and donate at least $10 (8 euros) to this project you will: Get everything in the list above, PLUS be entered in a raffle to win THREE gift certificates ($20, $10, and $5) to Home Baked -Grandma’s Kitchen! (*Please write “ROME” somewhere in your comment after you donate so we can include you in the drawing!)
Who Will Benefit? Meet Paul (5)
We hope to send ALL 23 orphans at the Hope Centre to school this year, including Paul Thang Lian Khup, age 5. (Pictured above.)
Paul is NOT technically an orphan. His parents, Joshua and Ruth are alive and well and running the Hope Centre for Child Development where they support their own five biological children as well as 20 orphans in Dalla Township, one of the poorest neighborhoods in Yangon, Myanmar.
The average person in Myanmar survives on just $35 USD a month. All 25 children at the Hope Centre (23 whom are of school-age) share in the same meals, housing, access to education and medical attention, as well as Joshua and Ruth’s loving care.
In Myanmar historically speaking, there are three different kinds of ‘orphans’: economic orphans, where the parents are alive, but the children are sent away for education and the hope of a better life; social orphans, where a biological parent has remarried and the new spouse rejects the child from a previous relationship; and ‘true’ orphans where both parents are deceased.
If we reach our goal by June 7, 2016 we will then aim to raise another $2250 USD to cover the education expenses of twenty five children living in a second orphanage supported by the NGO, Aid Myanmar. (These children are older so their yearly school expenses are a little higher.)
Who Are We?
Paul is Kristen Palana’s new sponsored child through Aid Myanmar, an NGO founded by a dedicated Canadian couple, Stephen and Marian Fortner. Aid Myanmar supports the Hope Centre as well as provides clean water kits for members of the local community among other projects.
Kristen, an international educator has a rather unique history with her sponsored children. In 2004 she raised over $5K to build a brick home for her sponsored child Aura (then age 9) of Guatemala through Children International. Her grassroots website Aura’s House was born soon after and the website also funded Aura’s village’s school as well as Aura’s secondary and university education. To date, Aura’s House has raised over $112K and successfully completed over 90 housing, health, income generation, and education projects to help needy children, their families, and their communities on four continents.
Kristen is MOVING to Yangon, Myanmar in July 2016 with her family. She looks forward to meeting Paul in person and introducing him to her own young sons. Aura’s House is thrilled to partner with Aid Myanmar on this project to help worthy children get access to an education and a better life.
There’s more than one way you can help us with this project. Yes, even donating just $5 is amazing, but there are also ways too:
- Spread the word! Share this project with your friends via email, Facebook, Twitter, in person – anything will do! Tell your classmates, your family, your soccer team, your church, your meditation group… Tell everyone!
- Youcaring.com has sharing tools too. – Please share!
- Consider also SPONSORING an orphan from the Hope Centre. Currently only two children out of 25 have a sponsor to help with food, education, clothing, and medical costs. Learn how to become a sponsor here.
You have the power today to change many lives for the better and get a few rewards for yourself as well. Thanks in advance for helping in any way you can, by donating and sharing this project. Wishing you all the best!
Kristen Palana and Stephen and Marian from Aid Myanmar
Books, tutoring, uniforms, and school supplies for each child= $54.35
There are 23 children total at the orphanage.